Excel Dashboards – Introduction
Cost for BPP PD Members: £415 + VAT 6 CPD Hours
(£599.00 + VAT for non BPP PD Members Click Here for details of our membership scheme).
The course explores a range of lesser known charting techniques along with advanced tools and functions of Excel and participants will gain the maximum benefit from this course if they have already attended the Data Analysis with Excel series of courses and / or have a general all-round understanding of spreadsheets.
At a minimum, it is assumed that participants will know how to:
- Use a variety of formulae, including SUM/SUMIF; VLOOKUP; COUNT/COUNTIF
- Navigate confidently in Excel
- Use absolute cell references (e.g. =$A$1)
- Create simple Excel charts, including Column; Pie;Line
Spreadsheet authors, Excel developers, power users and all kinds of analysts who want to gain skills in designing visual reports. Those who want to start getting creative with an interest in learning about dynamic charts and visually appealing data will benefit from this course.
Course Outline and Objective
The term “dashboard” is a buzzword in the world of Excel and in businesses today. A dashboard report is a management tool that measures and presents critical data on the key business performance areas in a summarised manner much like a car dashboard, so management can quickly respond with appropriate decisions.
Dashboards enable the reader to make sense of the raw numbers by presenting them in visually rich charts and tables and give valuable insights into the key performance indicators of the business.
By the end of the course the delegate will have gained skills in the following key areas:
- Understanding the key principles, purpose, relevance, and requirements of the report.
- Creative techniques in overall design, functionality, and capability.
- Making vital areas of the Dashboard dynamic and interactive using some of the more advanced Excel tools and functions.
- Become familiar with extra tools and objects which make the Dashboard more controllable and visually stunning, and functionally enjoyable for the user(s).
This hands-on one day course covers a comprehensive look at the mechanics, functionality, and design concepts of an interactive Dashboard report. One of the key objectives is to create a holistic approach to summarising data and keeping the reports dynamic and expandable for minimal manual upkeep. The course also covers advanced (and at times complex) charting techniques, along with Excel tools and advanced functions to control the Dashboard.
Learning outcomes include obtaining a greater understanding of:
Dashboard fundamentals – fulfilling the core requirements
- Researching into the requirements and purpose of a dashboard
- Organisation of the file data and its calculations
- Core design principles
- OFFSET / INDEX / MATCH
- LARGE / SMALL
- COUNT / IF / A
- DSUM / DMAX / DMIN
- YEAR / YEARFRAC
Summarising / calculating / organising
- Arranging the data that’s conducive for a high-level view
- Dynamic named ranges
- Expandable calculations
Advanced charting techniques
- Making the best type choice
- Bullet chart
- Stacked / linear chart
- Speedometer chart
- Dynamic charts / interact with rolling data
- Axis fix magic trick: the ghost series
Further enhancement techniques
- Scrolling mechanism
- Combo box controller
- The camera tool
Implementing simple automation techniques
- Enhanced functionality with easy VBA code
- Creative and fun illuminate technique
All exercises and project files used on the course will be available to take home. Laptops with Excel 2013 will be provided on the course. The knowledge and skills gained can be used across all modern versions of Excel.
"A CPD certificate of completion will be provided by BPP Professional Education Limited upon request, following attendance."