The Evolving Role of the Company Secretary
Cost for BPP PD Members: £435 + VAT 6 CPD Hours
(£624.00 + VAT for non BPP PD Members Click Here for details of our membership scheme).
Company secretaries and assistant secretaries of private companies registered under the Companies Acts. The course will also be of value to trainee/junior solicitors and accountants who are involved in corporate or company secretarial work. In addition, the course will benefit anyone who requires a practical awareness of current companies legislation (including the impact of the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015) and how it impacts on the day to day running of a company, for example finance directors.
- Incorporation/Initial considerations of a company
- Company incorporation.
- Memorandum (objects and Companies Act 2006 implications).
- Articles (choices, contractual implications, changes).
- Registered office/Single Alternative Inspection Location.
- Choice of name and rules surrounding its display.
- Directors (appointment and duties).
- Company secretary (role, appointment, authority).
- Share capital.
- Day to day running of a company.
- Board meetings, general meetings, resolutions and minutes.
- Execution of documents.
- Raising equity - issue of new shares.
- Raising debt - registering a charge.
- Share transfers.
- Maintenance of statutory registers and records.
- Annual events of a company.
- Confirmation Statement (from 30 June 2016)
- AGM (if required).
The course will cover the life cycle of a company focusing on the practical duties and responsibilities of a company secretary at each stage. This practical seminar will provide you with a thorough and up-to-date understanding of the duties and responsibilities of a company secretary focusing on the areas a company will be concerned with both at the outset and on a daily and annual basis. The speaker will highlight the key aspects of company legislation with which the company secretary must be concerned, as well as considering the changes implemented/proposed by the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015 (which received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015) that will have a direct impact on the day to day work of the company secretary. .
Learning outcomes include obtaining a greater understanding of:
- practical up-to-date knowledge of current companies legislation; and
- a detailed awareness of the actions company secretaries are required to take, including considering why such actions are required and best practice in conducting such actions.
"A CPD certificate of completion will be provided by BPP Professional Education Limited upon request, following attendance."
div style="border:solid 1px #7c4195; background-color:#fbf6f6; padding:5px; width:95%; font-size:16px; font-weight:bold;">
This course has an online live option available. Same expert presenters delivering the same content to your desk or mobile over multiple days in short 180 minute sessions. Watch our 5 minute explainer video to find out more.