Trusts - Taxation Fundamentals
Cost for BPP PD Members: £220 + VAT + 3 CPD Hours
(£275 + VAT for non BPP PD Members) Click Here for details of our membership scheme.)
This course will be useful for anyone who works, or intends to work, in areas where they will come into contact with trusts. This will include those specialising in small businesses, private client wealth management, wills or probate, as well as general practitioners.
After a brief introduction covering the main types of trust, this course will outline the Inheritance Tax (IHT), Capital Gains Tax (CGT) and Income Tax rules which apply to them. There will be numerous short numbers-based examples to demonstrate the various issues.
Only very basic planning points will be covered, as the practical uses of trusts are dealt with on other courses, such as ‘Inheritance Tax Planning in Wills’ and ‘Tax Planning For the Private Client’.
Topics covered on this course will include:
- Overview of the main types of trust
- The charges arising in relation to ‘qualifying’ interest in possessions
- The charges arising in relation to ‘relevant property’ trusts, including examples of exit and 10-year charges
- Advantages of death transfers
- Charges arising on gifts into, and disposals out of, trusts
- When gift relief can apply to defer those charges
- Income Tax
- The charges on the trustees and beneficiaries in relation to:
- Interest in possession trusts
- Discretionary trusts
- The ‘tax pool’ problems for discretionary trustees wanting to pass on dividend income
- Tax compliance matters for trustees relating to IHT, CGT and Income Tax, including self-assessment responsibilities
"A CPD certificate of completion will be provided by BPP Professional Education Limited upon request, following attendance."