Court of Protection Practice
Cost for BPP PD Members: £210 + VAT + 6 CPD Hours
(£420 + VAT for non BPP PD Members) Click Here for details of our membership scheme.)
This course will be of benefit to legal practitioners new to this area of law. The course will suit fee earners from the senior partner to unqualified staff.
Sweeping changes to the law and practice of the Court of Protection in 2007 radically overhauled the geography of this growing area of practice. This course is not just for those who advise elderly clients but also will assist those who do personal injury work for those victims who cannot manage their own property and affairs. Aside from looking at the law and procedure of powers of attorney you will also consider the MCA 2005 more broadly. This course will look at the role of The Court of Protection and an overview of the forms required by the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy. Practical case studies will be covered in the course.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the main changes made by the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Identify the different types of Lasting Powers of Attorney and be able to advise on the benefits and drawbacks of each.
- Draft clauses for Powers with confidence.
- Understand the registration process and why it is important.
- Develop the skills to complete the required forms to register a Lasting Power of Attorney
- Appreciate the importance of advanced decisions and statutory will applications.
- Recognise the formalities for and role of a Living Will.
- Understand when a deputy application can be made to the Court of Protection and which forms are required.
"A CPD certificate of completion will be provided by BPP Professional Education Limited upon request, following attendance."
||04 Dec 2014
||9:30 AM - 5:00 PM