Commodities Trading - Introduction
Cost for BPP PD Members: £490 + VAT + 6 CPD Hours
(£615 + VAT for non BPP PD Members) Click Here for details of our membership scheme.)
This course will be of value to anyone who wishes to discover the breadth and intricacies of commodity trading for the first time or who wants to expand their knowledge of how products in this important asset class are traded.
Although long-established, commodities markets have become more important in recent years and today exert a significant influence on mainstream financial trading and investment. The modernisation of these markets together with the demand for physical commodities has transformed the outlook for the asset class. The continuing importance of commodities within the broader context of financial market performance is thus assured. This one day course will introduce you to the principal commodity and energy markets, describe their main characteristics and explain their current status.
Learning outcomes include obtaining a greater understanding of:
- The principal underlying commodity markets and how they operate
- Principal determinants of price in commodity markets
- Market types – spot, forwards, futures, OTC
- Main players, their trading characteristics and objectives
- Commodity derivatives exchanges
- OTC markets for commodities
- How trading is conducted on the exchanges and OTC markets
- Post-trade operations on the exchanges and OTC markets
- How contract settlement and delivery is achieved
- Energy and power market specifics
- Base and precious metal markets
- Trading, hedging and investment strategies
- Weather derivatives and carbon trading
- New and emerging commodity markets – e.g. new exchanges, freight, commodity indices, bio fuels
"A CPD certificate of completion will be provided by BPP Professional Education Limited upon request, following attendance."